Ime Udoka guided the Boston Celtics to a berth in the NBA Finals during his first season as a head coach, so it’s no surprise to see his name as the betting favorite to win the 2023 NBA Coach of the Year award at +750 odds over at DraftKings. Taylor Jenkins from the Memphis Grizzlies is also one of the favorites at +1200 odds, along with this season’s COY winner Monty Williams from the Phoenix Suns also at +1200.
Sometimes the NBA is a little slow to reward someone with a Coach of the Year award, which is why you should keep close tabs on Udoka and Jenkins — especially if the Celtics and Grizzlies have another strong season.
|2023 NBA Coach of the Year Odds|
- Ime Udoka (Boston Celtics) +750
- Taylor Jenkins (Memphis Grizzlies) +1200
- Monty Williams (Phoenix Suns) +1200
- Ty Lue (LA Clippers) +1300
- Jason Kidd (Dallas Mavs) +1300
- Chris Finch (Minnesota Timberwolves) +1300
- Steve Kerr (Golden State Warriors) +1400
- Michael Malone (Denver Nuggets) +1400
- Erik Spoelstra (Miami Heat) +1400
Williams took the Suns to the 2021 NBA Finals and was the runner-up. Last season, the Suns secured the best record in the league and locked up the top seed in the Western Conference before they were eliminated in the conference semifinals.
Value picks: Udoka, Jenkins, Lue, Daigneault
Udoka probably should have won 2022 Coach of the Year and has the inside track in 2023 so long as the Celtics have a strong season and finish among the top teams in the Eastern Conference. That’s why Udoka is the favorite on the Coach of the Year board at +750 odds.
We would have voted for Jenkins to win the Coach of the Year last season, and he’s worthy of a flier for this coming season at +1200 odds. Ja Morant gets better every year and the Grizzlies gained much-needed postseason experience under Taylor despite their second-round bust out.
The LA Clippers are a popular pick to win the NBA title in 2023, with Kawhi Leonard and Paul George returning. Ty Lue did a stellar job last season without his stars, and he’s a great value pick to win Coach of the Year at +1300 odds if the Clippers finish the season as a top team in the Western Conference.
Mark Daigneault from the Oklahoma City Thunder is a huge underdog at +10000 odds to win the Coach of the Year, but keep an eye on the Thunder in 2023. If the front office decides to tank, then it will be another horrible losing season in OKC. However, the Thunder have enough up-and-coming stars with Josh Giddey and Tre Mann to make a legit postseason run. Plus, Chet Holmgren — the #2 pick in the draft — looked good in Summer League action. If you’re looking for an insane moon shot, consider Daigneault.
New coaches: Ham, Clifford, Hardy, Brown
The Los Angeles Lakers hired Darvin Ham to become the next puppet coach for LeBron James, and he’s vastly overvalued at +1700 odds to win Coach of the Year. Ham has the pedigree, but he has his hands full in dealing with Russell Westbrook. If the Lakers fail to trade Westbrook, Ham is doomed. If the Lakers trade Westbrook to the Brooklyn Nets for Kyrie Irving, that’s a whole other can of worms for Ham.
Steve Clifford joins the Charlotte Hornets for a second stint, but even his defensive schemes won’t turn the Hornets into overnight contenders.
|2023 NBA Coach of the Year Odds – Long Shots|
- Darvin Ham (LA Lakers) +1700
- Nick Nurse (Toronto Raptors) +1800
- Mike Budenholzer (Milwaukee Bucks) +1800
- Willie Green (New Orleans Pelicans) +1800
- Steve Nash (Brooklyn Nets) +2000
- JB Bickerstaff (Cleveland Cavaliers) +2200
- Steve Clifford (Charlotte Hornets) +2200
- Nate McMillan (Indiana Pacers) +2500
- Billy Donovan (Chicago Bulls) +2500
- Doc Rivers (Philadelphia 76ers) +2800
- Dwane Casey (Detroit Pistons) +3000
- Will Hardy (Utah Jazz) +3500
- Wes Unseld Jr (Washington Wizards) +4000
- Greg Popovich (San Antonio Spurs) +6500
- Chanuncey Billups (Portland Trail Blazers) +6500
- Tom Thibodeau (NY Knicks) +6000
- Rick Carlisle (Indiana Pacers) +8000
- Mike Brown (Sacramento Kings) +8000
- Stephen Silas (Houston Rockets) +10000
- Mark Daigneault (OKC Thunder) +10000
- Jamahl Mosley (Orlando Magic) +10000
Will Hardy replaced Quin Snyder with the Utah Jazz. Hardy — the youngest coach in the NBA — has a bright future down the road, but he’s in for a rough rookie campaign.
Mike Brown gets a chance to turn around the Sacramento Kings. If he can actually guide them to a playoff spot, he deserves to win Coach of the Year, but that seems like an impossible task, which is why the bookies installed him at +8000 odds.