NFL Online Betting Guide
NFL betting eclipses all other forms of sports gambling in Las Vegas, and NFL football bets are always just a click away if you’re playing online. We’ve searched high and low for top odds and have found that, with Betway Sports offering the best bonuses around.
Stick with our recommended online sportsbooks for:
- Safe and secure NFL online gambling action
- A range of convenient deposit and withdrawal methods
- Solid odds that offer you the best chance of success
Your Guide to NFL Betting
With many NFL betting sites boasting easy to understand odds and bonuses that help new players to stretch their bankroll further, it’s easier than ever for players to jump into the action. As we’ll see below, there are many more ways to bet than just trying to predict the winner of each game.
In the world of online gambling, the NFL's Super Bowl is the biggest game in town. No single event in the world attracts more real money betting. But you don’t have to wait until the next big game to place a bet. We’d recommend that you place a few wagers on regular season and postseason games first, to get a taste for how it all works.
|How The NFL Playoffs Work|
Get To Know Your Bets
Now you have better knowledge on how the NFL Playoffs work, it’s time to brush up on the different types of bets that you can place.Moneyline betting
|New York Jets||+110|
- In the moneyline format, a negative sign tells you that a team is the favorite with a positive sign indicating the underdog
- Bet $120 on the Bengals and you could make $100 cash, a total payout of $220 including your initial wager
- $100 wagered on the Jets would win $110 profit, with your total payout standing at $210, including your original bet
|Green Bay Packers||+8.5|
- Over/under wagers let you predict game totals. This number - the spread - refers to the margin of victory/loss necessary for bets to pay out
- Here, the Vikings need to defeat the Packers by at least 8.5 (or, in practice, 9) points for a real money bet to count as a win
- If the Packers win, or lose the game by fewer than 8 points, then a bet backing them will pay out
|New England Patriots vs Cleveland Browns||Over/under = 40.50 points|
- It’s far more common to wager on the spread, which factors in a margin of victory
- In an over/under bet, you don’t bet on either team, you bet on the total number of points scored instead
- Let’s say that you bet Over and the score is 28-14. You win because 28 + 14 = 42, which is more than 40.5
- If you bet Under and the score turns out to be 16-24 then you’ll win (only just!) because 16 + 24 = 40, which is less than 40.5
This can all be a little confusing if you’re not used to it, so you’ll be please to know that most NFL gambling sites feature a bet slip calculator that automatically works out how much you stand to win based on the amount you intend to bet.
NFL Playoffs Betting Tips
1. Look at the season
When you’re gambling online, NFL Playoffs betting is all about looking backwards to look forwards. It’s always good to consider how a team has performed over the course of the regular season.
- Have they faced this team before? Did they win?
- How do they rank compared to their opponents?
- This is important when considering a wager, but keep in mind that this is only something to consider.
- A great regular season isn't going to guarantee a win in the playoffs. The playoffs often see teams pull out all the stops for a win, so upsets can and do happen.
2. Location of the game
Home field advantage is an important factor in American Football, especially when it comes to the best NFL Playoff teams.
- Teams almost always play better in front of the home crowd than they do on the road. This is particularly true when it comes to the playoffs when they have a sold-out home crowd boosting their confidence.
- Weather can play a factor. Is the stadium indoors or outdoors?
- Snow and freezing temperatures may slow down a team that is accustomed to playing in more mild climates, so always look into the location of the game before putting down your wager.
This is an important tip when it comes to internet gambling, NFL Playoffs and our bottom-line.
- Normally, NFL teams will rest their starters towards the end of the season to ensure they’re healthy and ready to compete in the playoffs.
- However, it's not out of the question to have a key player get an injury that could jeopardize the team's playoff performance
- If they have to replace a star running back or defensive tackle at the last minute, the performance could suffer.
- Have a quick look at the injury reports to make sure your team of choice is healthy and ready to go.
4. Bet the underdog
If (after you've considered all the above), you're still not sure where to put your money, then your NFL Playoffs betting strategy should focus on one thing: the underdog.
- It's cheaper than betting on the favorite.
- If the underdog wins you stand a chance of winning a substantial amount of money.
- With so much on the line during the playoffs, upsets are not out of the question.
5. Be smart
This is probably the best tip when it comes to online gambling, NFL Playoffs betting and your money management in general.
- Do your research and find a trusted online sportsbook.
- Most importantly don't ever bet with money that you can't afford to lose.
- Smart betting ensures that you will never find yourself miserable and in the hole when the season is over.
Place Your Bets!
We have a range of expert guides on NFL Playoffs and how you can improve your overall betting EV (expected value). Of course, if you're ready to jump into the action right now we also offer a list of top NFL betting sites which are all certified as safe and secure. Not only that, but our best NFL gambling platforms have generous odds and lucrative bonuses.
NFL football betting is available at all bookmakers and various other online gambling sites, but there’s no point just picking one at random! Spend a little time considering the advantages of each site we review – one might offer a bigger bonus than another, while another might pay out winnings a little bit quicker.
Once you’ve done that, you’re only a couple of clicks away from getting started with all of the betting action the NFL regular season and postseason have to offer.
Want to find out how much it costs to see a live NFL game? Our NFL Gameday Calculator can tell you what you can expect to pay at different stadiums around the country. You can also visit our NFL's Backroom Heroes page to find our more about the team of support staff behind the NFL players and our NFL Sidelines Staff page to find our exactly what every person is doing on the sidelines!
Can I bet on the NFL online?
Absolutely! There's a huge number of sites on the web where you can wager real cash on spread, moneyline, or over/under bets. Make sure you pick one with a positive reputation though.
How do I start placing NFL bets online?
Just head to one of the sites that we recommend, enter a few personal details and make a deposit. Once that's done – don't forget to claim your bonus – then you're ready to pick a team you want to back and start betting.
How does online sports betting work?
The process works in much the same way as it does in an offline sportsbook – bookies set their odds in such a way that they are able to cover the cost of paying out winning bets from money lost by other players.
What kinds of bets can I place on the NFL?
The three biggest types of betting are moneyline (picking the winner of a game), spread betting (wagering that a team will win by more than or lose by less than a certain number of points), and over/under (trying to predict the total number of points scored), but there are various other bets to try as well!
Can sports betting be profitable?
Definitely. You'll need to have luck on your side, and make sure you keep up with your NFL research, but it’s possible to make a great deal of money betting on sports if you back the right team(s).
Will my real cash bets be safe in an online gambling site?
If you're playing with an honest and reputable site, yes. If you head off the beaten track and end up playing with a site that's fraudulent or doesn't use the proper security measures, then your personal info and/or cash may be at risk.