How to Play Online Roulette
Whether you opt to play live or end up embracing online gambling roulette, learning how to play the wheel is simple. The game revolves around a spinning wheel with numbered slots. Your goal is to guess the number a ball will land on when the wheel comes to a halt. If you're wondering what all the numbers on the table mean while trying to figure out how to play roulette, internet gambling fans should direct their attention to the wheel. The marked areas indicate the various betting options.
For example, you'll notice numbers ranging from 1-36 as well as 0 and 00. You'll be able to bet that the wheel will land on one of these numbers, but that's just a starting point.
Once you're happy with your real cash bets, you can click the spin or play button. If you are playing live dealer roulette, the croupier will spin the wheel and toss a ball in. In standard roulette at online gambling sites, this process is simulated with convincing animations that are based on real world physics and a certified random number generator. After a few seconds, the ball will come to a rest in one of the numbered slots on the wheel. You'll automatically receive your dollars if any of your numbers come up. Of course, you don't need to bet on exact numbers. You can put your real money on colors and combinations as well.
Here’s a step by step guide to playing your favorite game of roulette:
- Choose your favorite online casino from our recommended list.
- Make your bet. You can bet on individual numbers or on a combination of numbers or events.
- The dealer spins the ball.
- The ball will fall in one of the pocketed spaces on the wheel.
- If the ball falls on your bet, you win.
The Basic Rules of Online Roulette
When learning how to play roulette, online gambling players should be aware that there are different versions and rules of the game. While offline casinos often stick to a single version, online casino players can expect to find up to three different styles of play at most online betting websites. American and European roulette gameplay is largely similar.
When learning how to play roulette, the only distinction is that the American version adds a 00 slot to the wheel and table layout, which effectively reduces your odds and makes the European game a better bet. If you happen to play French casino online roulette, you'll find foreign words atop the table and some house rules that can improve your odds further.
- The objective of the game is to guess what number the ball will land in.
- The European roulette has 37 pockets.
- The American roulette has 38 pockets. This version also contains a double zero.
- Players can place bets until the dealer puts the ball into the roulette wheel.
Real Money Bets & Odds Explained
Roulette isn't just simple to learn but you can also count on decent payouts and a wide variety of bets.
When it comes to casino online gambling, how to play roulette best is a topic worth discussing. In general, it's worth working the odds to your advantage. As we discussed, European versions of the game are always preferred and are widely available online in the USA at top online gambling sites in 2018. Here's a look at some of the bets but you can learn more about these wagers by visiting our roulette payouts guide.
- Color - Betting on red or black pays even money. With a 48.65% chance of winning, it's one of your best bets.
- Even or odd - This pays the same as red or black bets with equal odds.
- 1 to 18 or 19 to 36 - Thliis outside bet also pays even money with the same modest house edge as wagering on red, black, even, or odd.
- Dozen or column bet - These bets pay 2:1 and give you a 32.43% shot at winning if you play European roulette.
- Straight bet - Wagering on a single number pays a whopping 35:1 but is a longshot with 2.7% probability of occurring.
- Split bet - Hedging your bet across two numbers pays 17:1 with a likelihood of 5.41%.
- Street bet - Covering a row of three numbers pays 11:1 with an 8.11% probability.
- Corner bet - Backing four numbers yields 8:1 and has a 10.81% chance of happening.
- Double street bet - Covers six numbers, pays 5:1, and has a 16.22% likelihood of occurring.
Basic Roulette Strategies
The game of roulette is highly based on luck and chance. However, if you practice your skills and stay sharp, there are a few strategies that can help maximize your odds at winning the game.
The Martingale Strategy
There is one simple strategy that overrides them all and this is known at the Martingale Strategy. This strategy relies on doubling your bets after a loss and cutting your bets in half after a win in a 50/50 chance game. This means that you will eventually win and regain all your losses. When using this strategy, make sure to always gamble safely as it is easy to reach the maximum bet or even run out of money.
The Reverse Martingale Strategy
As the name implies, this strategy is the opposite of the previous strategy. The Reverse Martingale Strategy is when you increase your bets when you win and decrease your wager when you lose. This is based around the idea that if you’re on a winning streak, you’ll increase your bets and if you’re not feeling lucky, you’ll limit your losses.
The D’Alembert Strategy
This strategy is based on going up and down the game using arithmetic factors rather than geometric moves. Here, you will increase your bet by 1 when you lose and not double them like in the Martingale Strategy.
The Fibonacci Strategy
The Fibonacci Strategy works by adding the last two bets together when wagering your next move. Players can make a profit by losing more games than they’ve won. However, you should also be careful of how much money you’re betting and losing as it can get out of hand.
The James Bond Strategy
The James Bond Strategy involves a column bet and players would need, at least, $200 to use this method. It starts by placing $140 on numbers from 19-36. Next, players should place $50 on six numbers from 13-18. Then, an additional $10 on 0 for insurance purposes. Depending on where the ball lands, you’ll make a profit or a loss.
There are other simple strategies that you can use in the game of online roulette:
- Start small so that you will have the chance to double your losing bets.
- Bet small amounts on black or red, even or odd, 1-18 or 19-36.
- Know your rules.
- Betting on more than one number will increase your chance of winning.
Things Worth Considering
When learning how to play roulette, most online gambling sites let you test drive the action for free. There's no need to risk real money while you get familiar with the odds and pace of the game. That might just end up being the top tip on how to play roulette.
If you take the time to learn how to play roulette, many online gambling sites will reward you generously. Although payouts are fairly standard, internet gambling sites always offer European roulette and occasionally host French games too. That means that if your local casino only offers American roulette, you are always better off doing some online gambling. Yet if you do ever find yourself with your buddies in Las Vegas, the skills you acquire when you learn how to play roulette will translate perfectly from the virtual to real world.
The only thing you should note is that the pace is much slower offline. Don't be surprised when you tell your friends that real money internet gambling has spoiled you.
- American Roulette – This version is also known as ‘Double Zero Roulette’. It has two pockets and a ‘0’ and a ‘00’.
- Black Bet – When a player bets on the color whose next number is black.
- Croupier – The one who operates the roulette table.
- Double Zero – Only present in American Roulette.
- European Roulette – A style of roulette that has number from 1-36 and a single 0. This version has a lower house edge when compared to American Roulette.
- House Edge – The advantage that the house has so as to make profit on the game.
- Payout – The winnings that the casino pays to a winning player.
- Single Zero Roulette – Another term for European Roulette.
- Straight Bet – When a player bets on a single number.
- Wheel Head – A part of the roulette wheel that has numbered pockets.
Maximum Security with Online Roulette
When playing online roulette, or any other game at an online casino, it is important to know how secure your information is. You should never play at the risk of fraud or misuse of information. That is where we come in.
We have chosen all the top online casinos around so that you can benefit from the ultimate gambling experience when playing your favorite version of roulette. All our approved casinos have maximum security. They are also fully equipped with a random number generator that keeps the online game of roulette safe and fair for all players.
Picking Your Perfect Variation
There are various versions of the game of roulette. When playing at an online casino, make sure that you know which one you are playing so that you can be aware of the rules, odds and payouts. Roulette games you’ll find include:
- American Roulette
- European Roulette
- French Roulette
- Multi-Ball Roulette
- Live Dealer Roulette
- Mini Roulette
- Royal Roulette
- Progressive Jackpot Roulette
Put Your Skills into Action
Now that you're well acquainted with the methods of online gambling, how to play roulette is something you can show the world. Luckily, there are dozens of top sites open around the clock.
Just visit any of our recommended betting sites and see just how well you know roulette. Online gambling sites that have earned our highest rating will put their money where their mouth is. Log on now and you'll get one of the best casino online bonuses in the industry.
Is online roulette available for real money?
Yes. Online roulette is available to play for real money at more online casinos. However, if you’re a beginner, it is advisable to perfect your skills by attempting a demo or free game. All our recommended casinos offer the online game of roulette for real money.
Can I still play for free?
Yes. The game of roulette is very popular which means that, at most casinos, it will be available for free and for real money.
Are there different types of roulette?
Yes. There are various types of roulette such as European Roulette, American Roulette, and French Roulette. European Roulette is the most common with online gamblers. Always make sure that you know which version you are playing so that you will be aware of the rules and tricks of the game.
Can I play on my mobile or tablet?
Yes. Most casinos offer the game of roulette for mobile use. Whether you have an iPhone, Android, Windows, Blackberry, and their respective tablets, you will be able to enjoy a classic game of roulette on the go.
Can you cheat in online roulette?
Most online casinos use a random number generator for most of their games, including, online roulette. This keeps the games random and fair to all players, making it almost impossible for players to cheat at online roulette.