Gulfstream Park has wasted little time in presenting horseplayers with the year’s first seven-figure betting opportunity, offering a $1.1 million gross jackpot pool on its 20-cent Rainbow Pick 6 for Wednesday’s nine-race card.

Gulfstream Park-$1.1 Million Pick 6
Gulfstream Park plays host to a $1.1 million guaranteed Rainbow Pick 6 on Wednesday’s card. (Image: Coglianese Photos/Gulfstream Park)

Being a jackpot wager, the Rainbow Pick 6 is paid out when a bettor holds the lone winning ticket with all six winners. When that doesn’t happen – which is often – 70% of that day’s pool goes to the bettors holding the most winners. The remaining 30% goes back into the jackpot pool.

Solving Gulfstream Park’s Rainbow Pick 6 on Wednesday’s card begins with Race 4 and runs through Race 9. The pool opens with a 1 1/16-mile maiden special weight for 4-year-olds. Two six-figure yearlings headline that field: Shug McGaughey’s Scalding and Eddie Plesa Jr.’s Unexpected.

Scalding went from a 64 Equibase Speed Figure in his Nov. 11, fourth-place debut at Aqueduct to a 92 in his runner-up a month later. He was a $400,000 purchase at the 2019 Fasig-Tipton Saratoga Select Sale. A $325,000 purchase at the 2019 Keeneland September Yearling Sale, Unexpected comes in off a third in a Gulfstream Park maiden special weight — one that came with a modest 46 Equibase.

Gulfstream Park spreads out the talent

The fifth race is an allowance optional claiming race for 4-year-olds and up that takes its overflow 16-horse field 1 1/16 miles on the Gulfstream Park turf. This intriguing field features Group 3-placed in Ireland Arturo Toscanini making his US debut. He meets local stakes winner Louder Than Bombs and Ginsburned, who finished third in the Grade 1 Bruce D at Arlington Park last August.

Gulfstream Park’s climactic ninth race is another allowance optional claimer for 4-year-olds and up. This one, however, is a five-furlong turf sprint. This pits Dubai Key, a Group 3 winner in Chile who won his North American debut at Gulfstream on Nov. 13 against Elusive Mischief, who owns stakes victories on both dirt and turf. The Into Mischief, Virginia-bred gelding is trained by Ian Wilkes.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *