One day after a Chicago Cubs fan reportedly flashing a hand sign associated with white supremacy behind an African American television reporter, team officials said they have banned the fan for life from Wrigley Field. The team did not identify the man, and said they had tried to contact the man by telephone, but failed. They instead sent him a letter sent him a letter notifying him of the team’s decision to indefinitely ban him from the ballpark.

Doug Glanville
NBC reporter Doug Glanville was giving a report when a fan flashed a sign associated with white supremacy. (Image: NBC Sports)
Team president of business operations Crane Kenney told reporters after the incident became public, the team was investigating the matter. Wednesday Kenney said the hand sign was “probably racially motivated,” and the decision for the ban was made.

“After a review of last night’s broadcast footage, we concluded this individual’s actions violated the Guest Code of Conduct,” Kenney said in a statement. “As a result, after repeated attempts to reach this individual by phone, we sent a letter to the individual notifying him of our findings and our decision that, effectively immediately, he will not be permitted on the grounds of Wrigley Field or other ticketed areas indefinitely. We further communicated if he attempts to enter Wrigley Field or other ticketed areas he may be subject to prosecution for criminal trespass to property.”

Reporter Responds

NBC Sports Chicago reporter Doug Glanville was giving a report on live television Tuesday during the Cubs game against the Florida Marlins. The bearded fan, who was wearing a grey Cubs sweatshirt and blue pants, held an upside-down “OK” sign, which has been appropriated by white supremacists, next to Glanville’s head.

Glanville was unaware of the gesture until after the game. His boss, Kevin Cross, the senior vice president and general manager of NBC Sports Chicago, condemned the fan’s actions.

“We are disappointed by the incident that took place on our air last evening, one that was at the expense of our colleague Doug Glanville,” Cross said in a statement. “We find the behavior of this fan reprehensible and clearly does not represent the great Cubs fans of our city and those around the country. We stand by our partners at the Cubs and will support their efforts regarding the investigation of this incident.”

Glanville, who played for the Cubs from 1996-97, thanked the organization for their swift action.

“I applaud the responsiveness of both the Chicago Cubs organization and NBC Sports in investigating this matter,” Glanville said. “They have reached out to me and are supportive of my role in the broadcast and continue to have a desire to uphold an inclusive environment at Wrigley Field. They have displayed sensitivity as to how the implications of this would affect me as a person of color.”

Another Incident in April

This episode follows another racially motivated incident less than a month ago. Relief pitcher Carl Edwards was struggling with the team early this season and was sent down to Triple A.

As news of the demotion hit, Edwards received nasty, racist messages on his Instagram account. The matter is currently being investigated by the Cubs and MLB.

Cubs President Theo Epstein released a statement condemning the action.

“We were shocked by the racist, profanity-laced social media message sent to Carl Edwards Jr. earlier this month,” Epstein wrote in a statement. “We vehemently condemn the content of the message and are supporting Major League Baseball’s investigation to identify the person responsible.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *