Police have been granted additional time to question Manchester United’s attacker Mason Greenwood, who was arrested on Sunday on suspicion of rape and assault.
The 20-year-old remains detained following a social media post from his girlfriend denouncing him. Greater Manchester police confirmed he will be questioned further.
“Detectives have been granted additional time to speak to a man in his 20s who is being held on suspicion of rape and assault of a woman,” a police statement read. “Inquiries are ongoing and the victim is being offered specialist support,” the police said.
Greenwood was suspended by Manchester United until further notice. The highly talented forward signed a new four-year contract at Old Trafford in February 2021 after impressing with his first outings at the senior level. Nike also suspended its sponsorship with Greenwood, while EA Sports dropped him from FIFA 22 following its Feb. 1 database update.
“Mason Greenwood has been removed from active squads in FIFA 22 and has also been suspended from appearing in FIFA Ultimate Team (FUT) packs and Ultimate Draft,” an EA Sports spokesperson told the Manchester Evening News.
Greenwood made his senior debut at United in the 2018-19 season. Since then, he’s played a total of 129 games for the Red Devils, scoring 35 goals. In 2020, he made his international debut in the England shirt. He wasn’t part of England’s Euro 2020 setup after an injury forced his withdrawal from the provisional tournament squad.