Spanish blackjack is a game with surprising twists and many opportunities to play side bets. Find out whether this popular game will make you a winner with Mr Blackjack.
- If you love side bets then Spanish blackjack is the perfect game for you. Lesson 7, Spanish blackjack. It gives you more odds than any other side bet tables because the casino has removed all the 10s in the deck. This means you have a better chance of making a pair of 7's or making a 5, 6, 7 card hand that is under 21 if there is one less type of card in the deck.
In this game, the dealer busts on 22 instead of pushing unlike most of the other variants. The pair and 5, 6, 7 card payouts will be listed on the table, just below the side circle. The house gives you an edge on the side bet where you are wagering less than your wager on the blackjack hand, but they take on the blackjack hand by increasing the house odds on your bigger bet. The house removed all the 10s in the deck, leaving you with only the jack, queen, king, and ace, which is one of five good cards for the player. They effectively took away 20% of the cards that are good for you, therefore raising the house edge and lowering your potential income dramatically in the long run.
So to recap Spanish blackjack, you will win the side bets more often, but the side bet payouts are smaller. You will make less money on the main blackjack game because the dealer will bust less often, and you will make better hands less often. So if you're out for a night of fun, go ahead try and make a 21 with two 7's and a dealer 7 for a 50 to 1 payout. If you're trying to make money playing blackjack, stay away from this table game because the side bets don't make up for removing the 10s from the deck.
Hey, players. You can test what you've just learned with onlinegambling.com's free blackjack games. Hit the link to play now.
What this lesson covers
- How Spanish blackjack works
- Your odds of winning this blackjack game
- Whether you should play Spanish blackjack
Meet Mr Blackjack
With a career spanning two decades, Mathieu Blake knows his way around a blackjack table. He's taught and entertained over 100,000 subscribers on his YouTube channel NeverSplit10's . In this series he'll take you through basic strategy, card counting, and bankroll management. Take a seat with Mr Blackjack and become a winning player.
Want to learn more about Blackjack?
- Are Spanish blackjack and Spanish 21 the same game?
Both names refer to the same blackjack game.
- How does Spanish blackjack work?
In Spanish 21, all 10s are removed from the shoe. Face cards remain, and the gameplay and objective remain the same. While it is trickier to make blackjack in Spanish 21, you have a higher chance of landing some side bets.
- Should I play Spanish blackjack?
Spanish blackjack effectively removes 20% of the good cards from the deck, which increases the casino’s edge and reduces your winnings in the long run. While Spanish blackjack is fun to play, you should look for regular blackjack games if you want to make money.
- Can I play Spanish blackjack in Vegas?
You will find Spanish blackjack in some casinos on The Strip in Vegas, although it is not widespread.
- Can I win side bets more often in Spanish blackjack?
With the 10s removed, you may win side bets more often, but the payouts are generally smaller in Spanish blackjack. The felt will usually feature the payouts, but you can also ask the dealer for the table rules.
- How many decks do Spanish blackjack games use?
Most casinos will use 6-8 decks in their Spanish blackjack games to keep the odds in their favor and to beat card counters.
- Can I play Spanish blackjack online?
Spanish blackjack is much more popular online than in brick-and-mortar casinos. The largest online casinos will offer Spanish 21 as a video blackjack option, or as a live blackjack game.