Blackjack is a game that is well known around the world and while it may be simple to understand and to play, sometimes people will use terminology that may be a little difficult to understand. We have put together this helpful list of terms for you to understand and master to get your lingo matching up with your skills.
Blackjack terms are listed in alphabetical order
- Blackjack - a two card hand consisting of an ace and any 10 value card.
- Box - the area in front of each player where bets are placed.
- Bust - to go over a hand total of 21.
- Count - to mentally record cards dealt so far in an attempt to predict future card trends.
- Chip Down - to decrease your bet from what was bet the last hand.
- Chip Up - to increase your bet from what was bet the last hand.
- Double Down - to bet up the amount of your original amount again and receive just one more card.
- Even Money - the option to take a 1-1 payout on your bet if you have blackjack and the dealer has an ace.
- Hard Hand - a hand that does not contain an ace, meaning it can only have one total value.
- Hit - to take another card.
- Hole Card - the dealer's face down card.
- Insurance - a bet offered only when the dealer has an ace. Paid at odds of 2-1 if the dealer gets blackjack.
- Jack Black - a drunk player's blackjack. Also a fat & very funny comedian.
- Monkey - a card with a value of 10.
- Paint - a picture card.
- Pair - a two card hand containing equal value cards. Pairs may be split.
- Perfect Play - to play your hand according to widely accepted blackjack strategy.
- Shoe - the box on the table that the cards are placed in and dealt from.
- Soft Hand - a hand containing an ace valued as 11, meaning another card may be taken.
- Split - the option to bet your original amount again and split two equal value cards into two seperate hands.
- Stand - to not take any further cards - also known as 'sitting'.
- Stand Off - when a player has the same hand value as the dealer.
- Surrender - the option to forfeit half of your bet if you think you cannot beat the dealer.