Top tips for managing your bankroll in blackjack
Mr Blackjack shares common tricks and table rules casinos use to reduce your bankroll at the tables without you realizing it.
- It takes time to build a healthy bankroll, but there are some simple tricks players can apply straight away to manage their bank roles like a pro. Lesson 8. Top tips for managing your bankroll in blackjack. The best tips that I can offer someone looking to manage their bank roles more effectively is to look at blackjack tables with proper payouts. Look for tables that have 3-2, or even 2-1 payouts on blackjack. Avoid blackjack tables offering 6-5 payouts. They're giving you less money for the same winning hand for no reason, other than to line their pockets more.
Avoid paying the bonus or side bets if the payout structure makes the house advantage greater than it should be. For example, you may find these two payout tables when you're playing the perfect pair side bet at a casino. Now, pay close attention to the colored pair. It's 12-1 in one casino, and it's 10-1 in another casino. This slight deviation will make a 20% difference on your payouts. This greatly affects your overall bankroll in the end. Another tip is to avoid blackjack variants that are heavily skewed in the casino's favor.
These games may offer fun and exciting ways to play blackjack, but take away some of the key components that are there to help the player's edge. For example, any game that offers a push on 22, like blackjack switch, and any game that takes out the tens, like Spanish blackjack. So we now know what we need to look for. Regular blackjack with no side bets. Respect the 5% to 10% bet rule, and 20% bank rule rules, and you will not only have more fun over a long period of time, but you will also play longer. Most likely, you'll earn comp rooms and dinners to go along with your winnings, which will lead to an overall better experience on and off the felt.
What this lesson covers
- Table rules that decrease your winnings
- Payout odds to avoid
- How casinos use house edge to recoup losses
Meet Mr Blackjack
With a career spanning two decades, Mathieu Blake knows his way around a blackjack table. He's taught and entertained over 100,000 subscribers on his YouTube channel NeverSplit10's . In this series he'll take you through basic strategy, card counting, and bankroll management. Take a seat with Mr Blackjack and become a winning player.
Want to learn more about Blackjack?
- Why should I avoid 6:5 payouts in blackjack?
Essentially, the casino is giving you smaller payouts for your gameplay. Over time, this can have a negative effect on your goals or plans to grow your bankroll.
- Where can I find blackjack games with the best rules for players?
Season seven of Blackjack Academy covers popular blackjack variants, and whether or not you should play these games. Alternatively, our blackjack rules guide covers the best and worst rules players will find in variants of 21.
- How can I find out whether the casino has decreased payouts for side bets?
In online blackjack games, this information will appear in the pay table or info box. You can ask the dealer what the payout structure is for specific side bets at the blackjack table.
- Can a blackjack dealer cheat and steal some of my bankroll?
It’s highly unlikely. Dealers are watched by video surveillance which prevents them from openly cheating or stealing. Casinos also takes extra measures, like using automatic card shufflers, which make it difficult for dealers to cheat.
- Will blackjack payouts change in the day like bet limits?
Some casinos in Vegas occasionally offer 2:1 payouts on blackjack during the afternoon lull to attract players to their tables.
- How much should I be betting in blackjack?
Your minimum wagers should never be more than 5-10% of your stack for that night. Betting any more than that is unsustainable, especially if you want to play long blackjack sessions.
- What can I do to increase my bankroll quickly?
There’s no magic trick to huge payouts in blackjack, but there are easy techniques you can use to play smarter. Mr Blackjack’s guide to winning at blackjack covers simple tips that will get you better results straight away.
- Can I win real money for my bankroll by playing free blackjack games online?
No, casinos will not give you free credit for their real money blackjack games for playing free games. We recommend playing free blackjack games until you’re confident in your skills, and then transition to real money play.