So, What is Dota 2?
Defense of the Ancients 2, more commonly referred to as Dota 2, is a 2013 action, real-time strategy game, developed by Valve Corporation, which is played competitively between 2 teams of five players a side.
Each player in a game of Dota 2 controls a single hero that has unique abilities, play style and role and every player in a match controls a unique hero (there cannot be two of the same heroes in the same game) with each hero abilities and playstyles having strengths and weaknesses. Teams are composed of heroes with varying abilities, playstyles and roles in order to enhance the overall team strength of the team, minimizing weaknesses and allowing strengths to be enhanced.
The main objective of a Dota 2 match is to destroy the main building, or Ancient, of the enemy team. In order to do this, players must use their hero to gain gold, by killing minions, other players and enemy structures, in order to build items with which they will enhance their own strengths in order to overwhelm the enemy base.
Join the Millions of Players Enjoying the Game
Dota 2 as a competitive title is popular in part due to the fact that it is relatively easy to learn, but difficult to master, and rewards players handsomely for skillful play with the developer Valve offering players numerous chances to play for real money rewards. Due to the developer’s support of the title as a primarily eSports focused game, Dota 2 features not only one of the most well-developed eSports scenes but also features one of the most lucrative and well-developed gambling scenes.
Due to the constant balancing of heroes within the game, brought about by the developer constantly introducing new items and heroes in order to keep gameplay fresh, Dota 2 frequently sees major shifts in gameplay, known as Meta Shifts. These meta shifts are determined by what items and heroes are more powerful at a given time and heavily influence betting odds when it comes to eSports betting.
Thanks to these constant shifts in meta, eSports betting on Dota 2 matches can be extremely lucrative as underdog teams have the potential to upset bigger teams, meaning bigger payouts to smart bettors.
Betting Smart: Breaking Down Betting Options
While Dota 2 may look complicated, the betting process doesn’t need to be. Thanks to the format of matches, betting is extremely similar to traditional sports wager. The most common bets that are placed include:
- Money-line Bets – just as in traditional sports betting, money-line bets are simply bets placed on the outcome of a single match. These basic bets are perfect for beginners as they don’t require an in-depth knowledge of the game. An example of a money-line bet would be a wager on Team A to beat Team B
- Outright Bets – also known as “future market bets”, outright bets do not focus on individual matches but rather on tournament results. These types of bets included which team will win the overall tournament; or on which team will reach the final or even on the region which will produce a winner eg. China
- Accumulator Bets – also known as combo bets, accumulator bets are composed of several bets that, if all are won, will see their odds multiplied together in order to create a larger pay-out than the individual bets would offer on their own. An example would be two $5 bets placed on teams in the group stage. Bet 1, with odds 1/2, states that Team A will beat Team B and bet 2, with odds 2/5, states that Team C will lose to Team D. Should both of these predictions prove to be correct the total profit would be $5 x (1/2 + 1) x (2/5 +1) = $10.5
- Special Bets – named from the fact that these bets focus on specialized aspects of play, special bets require more in-depth knowledge of players than previous types of bets. These bets will be placed on specific areas of play rather than just end-results, for example specific player kills or the taking of certain objectives within the game a certain number of times.
- In-play Bets – also known as live-bets, these are bets that are only placed once a match has started and, similar to special bets, are placed on specific events that could happen within a game. Examples would be Player A taking Roshan during a match or Team B destroying 6 towers during the course of a match.
Making Fractional Odds Work for You
Just like in traditional sports betting, the most common way that bookmaker’s express odds in eSports gambling are through fractional odds, named as such because they are expressed as a fraction e.g. 4/1 or 1/2. Odds refer to the likelihood, or chance, of a specific event taking place, such as Team A winning.
These odds take into account a number of variable and, similar to other sporting odds, these look at a team’s current win-rate, individual player’s performances within the team, the previous result when playing against the same team as well as a number of other variables.
Fractional odds dictate how much a bet will pay-out if the prediction proves true and bettors can calculate their potential winnings with some easy math.
Let’s take a look at some examples of fractional odds and their pay-outs:
- Odds of 4/1 – for every $1 you bet you will be paid out $4 for a win (i.e. favorable odds)
- Odds of 1/9 – for every $9 you bet you will be paid out $1 for a win (i.e. unfavorable odds)
Working out your potential pay-out is simply as all you need to do is multiply your odds by your stake e.g. if you wager $5 on a game with odds 4/1, you will be paid out 4 x $5 = $20 on a win.
Winning with Dota 2 is Easier Than you Think
Making smart betting decisions is a key factor in building your bankroll and, with a bit of research, skill, and no small amount of luck, you too get you on the road to building your own bankroll quickly and easily. These handy tips and tricks are sure to lead to success:
- Know the game you are betting on before you place any bets
- Specialize when possible – choose a region, style of tournament (minor vs major), type of bet etc. in order to minimize your effectiveness
- Bet selectively and objectively – you don’t need to bet on every match and, within that, bet with your head not your heart
- Don’t limit yourself to only major events – minor tournaments often present more opportunities for upsets and thus better payouts for smart bettors
- Follow teams and players and understand player form – players don’t always perform the same at every event so some research beforehand can do wonders for your bottom line
Premier Events of the Season & Their Champions
The popularity of Dota 2 as an eSports title continues to grow with major event organisers packing the calendar full of major and minor tournaments. Here are some of the main events, and their winners, from the 2017 season:
- DreamLeague Season 8 – Team Secret
- ESL One Hamburg 2017 – Virtus.pro
- The International 2017 – Team Liquid
- DOTA Summit 7 – Virtus.pro
- The Manila Masters – Evil Geniuses
- The Kiev Major 2017 – OG
- WESG 2016 – TNC Pro Team
- Perfect World Masters – Newbee
Dota 2 MVP’s of the Year
A team is only as good as their players. As such, here are some of the noteworthy players of the 2017 Dota 2 season:
- Clement “Puppey” Ivanoc – Captain and Support for Team Secret. Achievements include 1st place at DreamLeague Season 8, 1st place at The Shanghai Major 2016
- Alexei “Solo” Berezin – Captain and Support for Virtus.pro. Achievements include 1st place at ESL One Hamburg 2017, 1st place at DOTA Summit 7
- Vladimir “No[o]ne” Minenko – Mid-laner for Virtus.Pro - Achievements include 1st place at ESL One Hamburg 2017, 1st place at DOTA Summit 7
- Amer “Miracle” Al-Barqawi – Mid-laner and Carry for Team Liquid. Achievements include 1st place at The International 2017, 1st place at the AMD SAPPHIRE Dota PIT League
- Zeng “Faith” Hongda – Support for Newbee. Achievements include 1st place at Perfect World Masters, 1st place ZOTAC Cup Masters
We’re Dedicated to Offering you the Best
Due to the growing popularity of eSports betting, the number of gambling sites that offer players the chance to bet on Dota 2 is enormous. Unfortunately, not all of these sites offer players the best odds, rewards and even secure betting options. That is why our team of gambling experts have done the hard work for you in vetting and recommending only top-class sites that offer Dota 2 betting in 2018.
The sites that we recommend are carefully selected because they offer players:
- The widest variety of games and betting options
- Brilliant bonuses & reward programs to suit every player
- Safe, secure, and speedy banking options for peace of mind deposits & withdrawals
- Secure betting through regulated and licensed eSports betting sites
- Compatibility with the biggest range of mobile phones and tablets for easy gambling on the go
- Dedicated customer support for all your gaming enquiries
The Road to Dota 2 Success Starts Here
Thanks to its similarities with traditional sports betting, as well as its increasing global popularity, eSports betting is one of the most lucrative sports betting options currently available. We’ve broken down the basics, run you through the most common bets that you can place, and even given you some tips to get you building your bankroll quickly and easily.
Now winning is up to you. Choose from our list of recommended sites that offer Dota 2 betting, find one that suits your needs the most, register, and start winning today.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does Dota 2 betting work?
Betting on Dota 2 isn’t so different from betting on traditional sports, in fact many of the wagers you can place work exactly the same as in sports such as Basketball, Football, Hockey and other sports. Choose from money-line bets, accumulators, outright bets and other familiar bets and start winning.
How do I get started with Dota 2 online betting?
Getting started with Dota 2 online betting has never been easier. With a growing following comes access to a number of experts to help you along in the betting process. On your end, simply choose from one of our recommended sites that offer Dota 2 betting, register, deposit some credit and head over to the betting field.
How do the odds work?
Odds for Dota 2 work in the same way that odds work for traditional sports. Bookmakers take a number of factors into account when calculating the odds of a match-up, including things like previous performance, individual team strengths, historical results between teams and more. Just like in traditional betting, underdogs may offer you some of the best payouts and, thanks to the ever-shifting meta of Dota 2, these odds give you the chance to win big (with a bit of research and some luck).
Can I bet on Dota 2 from my mobile or tablet?
Yes! Thanks to advances in technology players now have the chance to place bets wherever they are. Whether you’re commuting to or from work, travelling or just don’t feel like booting up your PC, placing bets has never been easier. When signing up you should always check that the software you choose is compatible with your mobile phone or tablet.
Can I get a Dota 2 online betting bonus?
Yes! The best online betting sites, like the ones on our list of recommended sites that offer Dota 2 betting, are best known for offering the best online betting bonuses on the market.
Is Dota 2 betting similar to CS:GO?
Dota 2 and CS:GO betting do share some similarities as they both share common factors with traditional sports betting. Just like CS:GO betting, knowing the game as well as the players involved is a key factor in succeeding with your betting. If you enjoy betting on CS:GO matches, chances are you will enjoy the Dota 2 scene just as much.
Where is the best place to bet on Dota 2?
Our experts have done the hard work in choosing the best online sites that offer Dota 2 betting for our players in 2018. With a guarantee of safe, secure betting on sites that offer the best rewards, variety of betting options and some of the best odds available, you too can get a taste of the best betting available today.
Can I bet on DotA?
Yes! Dota 2 offers players some of the best odds and payouts of any eSports betting scene as the constantly shifting meta guarantees frequent upsets, new champions to follow and an environment that begs for further exploration. Start winning with Dota 2 today.