What is League of Legends?
League of Legends, usually referred to as LoL, is a free-to-play multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) developed, published and supported by RIOT Games.
While League of Legends features a few different modes, including ARAM (all-random-all-mid), a 3v3 player mode called Twisted Treeline as well as various temporary maps that center around various events, the main mode of League of Legends (and the one used for all professional tournaments and leagues) is the 5v5 mode called Summoner’s Rift.
Five players a side choose from a roster of more than 130 unique champions in order to fulfil a simple mission: destroy the enemy nexus. In order to do this, players must kill minions and other players in order to earn gold that is used to buy item. Items are used to boost a number of different stats that affect how much damage those champion’s four unique abilities deal. Each champion has different abilities and these abilities scale with different stats for each champion. These stats and abilities allow champions to be divided into different roles, with each role presenting different strengths and weaknesses.
Teams seek to compose teams of champions that can work well together in order to maximize their overall strengths and minimize weaknesses. The team that has the better composition generally has an advantage though player skill plays a major part in success as well.
The Largest eSports League in the World
League of Legends is a team-focused game that requires players to be proficient in both their own play as well as play well with the team. This has contributed to the game being one of the most popular eSports titles in the world as players are constantly trying to get better at the game in order to compete against the best players in the world.
The goal of most professional players is getting the chance to lift the Summoner’s Cup, awarded to the best team in the World at the annual League of Legends World Championship tournament.
In order to achieve this dream, teams must play through an extensive, year-long, region-based league, to earn points in order to compete in qualification events which happen at various times of the year. The qualifying teams from each region then converge on a single location in order to play in one of the biggest and best-produced eSports events in the world. The main competing regions include North America (NA), Europe (EU), South Korea (LCK), and LPL (China) with a small number of “wildcard” spots being offered to teams that do not fall within these regions.
Keeping it Fresh for Players & Spectators
Being a purely multiplayer-focused game, RIOT is dedicated to keeping the game fresh for both players and spectators alike with updates released every week that tweak various aspects of the game. These tweaks include item changes, champion editions as well as changes to creatures on the map.
Every few months there are major changes made to the game with these changes bringing about what are referred to as “meta shifts”. These shifts mean that players cannot play the same champions every game and result in different teams and compositions being more effective than others based on what is “in-meta” at the time. This also means that eSports bettors have the chance to win big if they chose to back underdog teams in tournaments as upsets are possible at every single level of play (even the grand final of the biggest LoL event of the year).
Thanks to these meta shifts, the eSports betting scene is a highly profitable one and getting started with betting on League of Legends is quick and easy. Simply choose a regulated and licensed site to bet on, register an account, deposit some credit, and start winning today.
LoL Bets: A Guide to Winning Big
While eSports betting may look complicated it really doesn’t need to be. Thanks to eSports being similar to traditional sports in many ways, the bets that you can place follow a very similar structure. The most common bets include:
- Money-line Bets – bets placed on the outcome of a single-match, money-line bets are perfect for beginners who are looking to build a bankroll but don’t know the title or teams very well yet. Examples of money-line bets would be a wager on Team A to beat Team B.
- Outright Bets – also known as “future market bets”, these wagers do not focus on individual matches but rather on overall tournament results. Examples of outright bets include which team will win the entire tournament; which teams will reach the final or even a wager on which region the winning team is from e.g. Korea.
- Accumulator Bets – also known as “combo bets”, accumulator bets are composed of several bets that, if they are successful, will see their odds multiplied together in order to produce a larger overall pay-out than the individual bets offer. An example would be 2 $5 bets placed on teams in the group stage of a tournament. Bet 1, with odds 1/2, stating that Team A will beat Team B. Bet 2, with odds 2/5, states that Team C will lose to Team D. Should both of these bets be won, the total profit would be $5 x (1/2 + 1) x (2/5 + 1) = $20
- Special Bets – named as such because they focus on specialized aspects of play, special bets require more in-depth knowledge of the sport than other bets. These bets focus on specific areas of play rather than overall results, for example a wager placed that Player C will secure 20 kills in a certain match or that Team B will secure the Baron twice during a match against Team A.
- In-play Bets – also known as live-bets, in-play wagers are similar to special bets in that they focus on specific events that happen within a game. The difference is that in-play bets are only placed once a match has started. Examples of in-play bets would be a wager on Team B securing 2 Mountain Drakes during the course of a match.
Fractional Odds: Calculating Your Winning Potential
Odds, or the “chances” of winning, are what govern how much money bettors will make by backing teams and, just like in traditional sports betting, eSports odds are expressed through the use of fractional odds e.g. 4/1 or 1/2. Odds refer to the likelihood of a specific event taking place so odds of 4/1 on a team indicate that, if four matches are played, that team will potentially win 1 match.
When calculating odds, bookies take into account a number of variables such as the team’s current win-rate, their performance at previous events, individual player’s performances, historical results between the teams and more.
These odds dictate how much a bet will pay-out and calculating your potential winnings is easy. Let’s take a look at some examples of fractional odds and their potential pay-outs.
- Odds of 4/1 – for every $1 you bet you will be paid out $4 for a win (i.e. favorable odds)
- Odds of 1/9 – for every $9 you bet you will be paid out $1 for a win (i.e. unfavorable odds)
When it comes to working out your potential pay-out all you need to do is multiply your odds by your stake e.g. if you wager $5 on a game with odds 4/1 you will be paid out 4 x $5 = $20 for a win.
Tips & Tricks to Winning Big
It's not only the professional League of Legends players that have the chance to win big with LoL. By making smart betting decisions you too can grow your bankroll easily. Here are some tips and tricks to making your money work for you:
- Know the game and the players before you make any big bets
- Specialize whenever possible – with so many teams and tournaments happening annually, focusing on a particular region will allow you to research in more depth which will result in smarter betting decisions
- Bet selectively and objectively – you don’t need to bet on every match and you should always bet with your head rather than your heart – your favorite team may not be the favorite to win
- Don’t limit yourself to only major events – minor tournaments and local events that feed into majors often feature unknown teams with the potential to upset their more known rivals making for juicy wins for smart bettors
- Follow teams and players and understand player form – teams and players cannot always play at their best, know your team’s history and research recent results before placing bets.
The Season’s Biggest Winners
Thanks to an extensive eSports scene, there are a number of League of Legends events that feed into the biggest event of the year. Let’s take a look at some of the victorious teams of 2017:
- 2017 World Championship – Samsung Galaxy
- Mid Season Invitational 2017 – SK Telecom T1
- LPL Summer 2017 – EDward Gaming
- NA LCS Summer 2017 – Team SoloMid
- EU LCS Summer 2017 – G2 eSports
- LCK Summer 2017 – Longzhu Gaming
- Demacia Cup 2017 – Royal Never Give Up
The Best LoL Players in the World
While team-play is the main focus of League of Legends, there are certain players that are renowned for their individual skill as well as their ability to guide their team to big wins. Here are some of the top players that shone in 2017:
- Lee “Crown” Min-ho – Mid-laner for Samsung Galaxy. Achievements include 1st place at the 2017 World Championships, 1st place at the LCK Regional Finals 2017
- Lee “Faker” Sang-hyeok – Mid-laner for SK Telekom T1. Achievements include 2nd place at the 2017 World Championship, 1st place at the Mid Season Invitational 2017, 1st in LCK Spring 2017
- Søren “Bjersen” Bjerg – Mid-laner and Captain for Team SoloMid. Achievements include 1st place at NA LCS Summer 2017, 1st place at NA LCS Spring 2017
- Luka “PerkZ” Perković – Mid-laner for G2 eSports. Achievements include 1st place at EU LCS Summer 2017, 1st place at EU LCS Spring 2017
- Jian “Uzi” Zi-Hao – AD Carry for Royal Never Give Up. Achievements include 1st place at Demacia Cup 2017, 1st place All-Star 2017 1v1.
Your Success & Enjoyment is our Priority
The growing popularity of eSports betting has led to a number of sites popping up that offer players a sub-par online gambling experience. That is why our team of experts has carefully chosen and vetted the best sites that offer League of Legends betting options in 2018.
Avoid sites that offer terrible odds and slow payouts, as well as sites that are not regulated or do not offer secure banking, and choose from our list of sites that have been carefully vetted to ensure:
- The widest range of games and betting options
- The best rewards, bonuses, and loyalty programs to build your bankroll
- Safe, secure, and fast banking through a wide range of accepted banking options
- Secure betting through only regulated and licensed sites
- Compatibility with a huge range of mobile phones and tablets for convenient gaming-on-the-go
- 24/7 customer services for all your gambling enquiries
Start Winning with League of Legends Today
Thanks to its similarities to traditional sports betting, as well as the already expansive support for the game as a professional past-time, betting on League of Legends is a lucrative and entertaining way to pass time. We’ve broken down the basics of LoL, introduced you to some of the top players of our time, taken a look at what bets are available and even given you some tips to get your bankroll started. Now it is your chance to win big.
Choose from our list of carefully vetted sites, chose one that best suits your needs and start winning with League of Legends today.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I start betting on League of Legends?
Thanks to the growing popularity of eSports betting, getting started has never been easier. We’ve done the hard work in choosing reputable, reliable and safe sites that offer League of Legends betting so all you have to do is choose a site that best suits your personal needs, create an account, make a deposit, and head over to the betting field to start winning.
Why is League of Legends betting so popular?
League of Legends is one of the most popular competitive titles of our time, with millions of players logging in each day to play and gain rank. With such a competitive community backing it, the eSports scene is one of the most extensive, offering players huge sums of money and prestige for their efforts. As the eSports scene has flourished so too has the betting scene thrived and, with the constant meta-shifts keeping the game fresh and allowing bettors to capitalize on favorable odds on underdog teams, betting on League of Legends has never been more popular.
What kinds of bets can I place of LoL games?
Thanks to its similarities with traditional sports betting, players will find that the kinds of bets you can place on games of LoL aren’t so different to traditional wagers. Choose from money-line bets, accumulators, outright bets and other familiar betting options and win big with LoL today.
Can I bet on League of Legends tournaments?
Yes! Thanks to the growing support of eSports betting options there are a number of reputable sites that offer bettors the chance to bet on a number of League of Legends tournaments.
How much real money can I win?
As with traditional betting, you decide how much a wager is worth so how much real money you can win is entirely up to you. With odds ranging from 1/4 all the way to 1/600 for underdog teams, the chance to win big is in your hands.
Is LoL the most popular option for eSports betting?
League of Legends is one of the most popular options for eSports betting, with a number of sites dedicated just to betting on this one eSport. Other popular games include Dota 2, Call of Duty and CS: GO.
Where can I find the best gambling sites for LoL betting?
Our experts have done the hard work for you in finding the best gambling sites for LoL betting. Choose from our list of recommended sites for a guaranteed top-class betting experience through reputable, safe sites that offer the best odds, biggest rewards and the widest range of betting options to suit every bankroll.