Common Mistakes All Blackjack Newbies Make
Are you making basic errors in your blackjack game? Learn the biggest mistakes new blackjack players make and how to avoid them with our expert, Mr Blackjack.
Blackjack is a simple card game to learn, but new players still make loads of avoidable mistakes. Check out whether you're making these top 5 mistakes that new blackjack players make:
- You forget to read the table rules. You may sit at a table that has a $100 minimum and then you put out your $10 bet and the dealer will motion and point to the table minimum sign. If this happens stand up and apologize; you are not forced to play. Don't make yourself stay at a table with limits you can't afford for the sake of not wanting to look silly.
- You sit down at a blackjack variant for which you don’t know the rules. Always, always check the rules of blackjack variants before committing any cash. Even the smallest changes can have a big impact on your winnings.
I once sat down at Spanish 21 blackjack. In this game, the 10s are removed from the deck, which greatly increased the house edge. $500 later I wasn’t having any fun and didn’t even know why.
3. Not bringing enough bankroll. Winning real money at blackjack is not a sprint. You need to be able to cover the peaks and valleys that come with the wins and losses in a given blackjack round.
- You play out of turn. I get it — sometimes you get so excited you want to double down. It’s important to remember that there are often other players at the table and from right to left, clockwise, every player has a turn. You must wait till the dealer comes to you to make your action. It's not a big deal, the dealer will simply ignore your action until it becomes your turn. Should you persist you might get a ‘please wait your turn’ message from the dealer or pit boss.
- Commenting on other peoples’ play, or getting mad at their decisions. Not everyone is a seasoned blackjack strategist and card counter. Some people want to have fun and enjoy their time at the table. Getting mad at them will ruin their experience as much as it will yours. Keep in mind that sometimes a bad decision can save you. If the coin starts flipping the other way, stand up, thank the dealer, and find another table where the players are more familiar with basic strategy so it does not impact your game.
What this lesson covers
- What table rules you should always check
- How blackjack variants affect your winnings
- Why you should always check your bankroll
- What etiquette you should never ignore
- How emotion control affects your skill
Meet Mr Blackjack
With a career spanning two decades, Mathieu Blake knows his way around a blackjack table. He's taught and entertained over 100,000 subscribers on his YouTube channel NeverSplit10's . In this series he'll take you through basic strategy, card counting, and bankroll management. Take a seat with Mr Blackjack and become a winning player.
- Are there other table rules should I check?
Bet limits, the dealer standing or hitting on soft 17, and payouts are the essential rules you should always check. As you progress in blackjack though, there are other table rules to consider that can affect your winnings. Our blackjack rules guide covers which rules benefit players most.
- How many blackjack variants are there?
- What is the best version of blackjack for new players to learn?
Single-deck blackjack offers the simplest gameplay, and it gives players the most chances of making 21. You can find this game in our free blackjack arcade, with no download or sign-up needed.
- What happens if I bet money I don’t have and owe the casino?
Brick-and-mortar casinos may offer you a casino marker, which effectively acts as a loan. You have to repay the marker within 30 days, or the casino will pursue the loan with the bank you listed on the marker application. With online casinos, you have to deposit funds into your account before you can play. We recommend players only play within their means and never take out loans to gamble. Check our Responsible Gambling guide for setting healthy gaming habits.
- Will I be kicked off a blackjack table if I make an etiquette mistake?
A casino will not ask you to leave if you make a mistake at first, like touching the cards. The dealer will just remind you of the correct etiquette. If you continue to ignore player/dealer etiquette though, then the casino may ask you to leave.
- Does the poor gameplay of other players affect my chances of winning?
Some players assert poor decisions by other players at a blackjack table decrease their chances of winning. In reality, poor decisions can also help you win more. The best approach is to focus on your own gameplay. This will help you maintain emotional control in blackjack.
- How will I know if it’s my turn in blackjack?
In blackjack, the dealer starts from their left and works their way around the table. Your turn starts when the dealer faces you and asks what move you want to make. It ends when they have finished dealing your hand and move on to the next player.