Our Top-Rated Amex Casinos
- A site’s reputation reflects the relationship it has with its players. That’s why we speak with gamblers and industry experts to uncover every detail in our reviews.
- Safety and Security
- It takes trust to deposit your real money online and we want you to know, if we trust a partner, so can you. This is why all sites must be legitimately licensed and regulated, as well as keeping your data safe with the best encryption technology.
- Banking and Payments
- A necessity of all online gambling sites is a range of secure banking options. From there, it’s imperative all sites provide high payout percentages with fast withdrawals and a fair RTP.
- Bonuses & Promotions
- All our sites are expected to provide new players with a welcome bonus, as well as rewarding loyal players with bankroll boosting promotions. We also check for any unfair T&Cs, meaning you can bet with confidence.
- Customer Support
- Top sites will offer extensive customer support, which is why we review this rigorously. While we always encourage our users to get in touch, we understand the importance of having your questions answered efficiently and by a real person.
- Whether you're playing online from your computer or mobile device or tablet, our top recommendations can match your lifestyle. A top online casino needs to be compatible with multiple devices, so you have the freedom to play wherever and however you want.
- Online Experience
- Whether through the range of games or sports to bet on, the option to play for free or even choosing between software providers, players must be provided with options when gambling online. Aside from this, we require all partners to meet a high standard with the graphics of their games and localization to accommodate for players from around the world.
What is American Express?
American Express, or Amex, is a premium financial services company that offers credit cards, corporate cards, currency cards, and more. It's one of the largest credit card providers in the world, with 110 million users worldwide. Given its global reach and strong security measures, American Express is widely accepted at established online gaming sites worldwide.
Players can make deposits and withdrawals using Amex on online casinos and betting sites within minutes. The American Express mobile app can also notify users when funds have been deposited or withdrawn from their account through their mobile. This means they can manage their online casino accounts regardless of their location.
Can I Use Amex at Online Casinos?
Given the strong security protocols and lucrative rewards scheme cardholders enjoy with American Express, it's obvious why they would choose to use Amex with online casinos. Unlike other online purchases however, legislation around online gambling can make Amex transactions complicated for some cardholders.
Players Based in the US
A large percentage of American Express cardholders are based in the US, which has complex online gambling restrictions that vary between states. Some players have tried to circumvent these restrictions by using Amex gift cards, thinking that the funds on these cards are untraceable. Others have tried activating their American Express card for international transactions to use at offshore casino sites.
American Express cancelled its gift cards back in 2015 and those remaining are only accepted at select retailers. As for international transactions, if Amex notices funds being illegally sent from a US-based account to a foreign betting site, it may cancel the transaction, and then freeze or close your account.
As a result, only a handful of online casinos and betting sites in the US accept American Express. In these situations, we recommend players follow their local legislation concerning gambling online. Otherwise, players could lose access to their winnings in their online casino account, and even face charges.
Players Outside of the US
Players outside of the US should check if their country of residence has any banking restrictions related to online gaming. Starting April 2020 for instance, UK players can no longer make deposits at online betting sites using credit cards.
Why Use Amex at Online Gambling Sites?
There's a variety of credit and debit cards, not to mention cryptocurrency options available to players. Using American Express online gives cardholders several unique benefits over other banking options though.
Benefits of Amex Online Banking
Here are just a few perks players can receive when using their Amex online with casino sites:
- Special casino bonuses: some online casinos offer players exclusive bonuses or promotions for banking with American Express.
- Fast deposits: Amex deposits are completed almost immediately, giving players more time to play their favorite casino games.
- User-friendly app: the American Express mobile app for Android and Apple users instantly notifies users when money has been deposited or withdrawn from their account. This helps users keep track of their spending with ease.
- Earn points for spending: Amex cardholders receive points with purchases that they can spend on travel, retail, and other online transactions.
- More card options: if players cannot use credit cards for online gaming, Amex also offers debit cards and prepaid card options.
- Enhanced Security: unlike other financial institutions, American Express handles all cards directly. This means Amex can handle transactions and queries much faster as there are fewer middlemen.
Disadvantages of Using Amex on Betting Sites
As most American Express cardholders know, Amex isn't accepted everywhere. The card charges an annual fee to users, and transaction fees for Amex cards are usually more expensive for businesses than other credit cards. Here are a few factors players should know before using Amex for online gaming transactions:
- Expensive annual fee: players can spend hundreds a year to own an Amex card. If you're a low stakes player that only uses Amex occasionally for online gaming, the fee might outweigh the amount you win gambling online.
- Smaller selection of casinos: Amex charges businesses more for transactions on their card than other credit card providers. As a result, fewer online casinos offer Amex as a banking option.
- Withdrawals can be slow: depending on the online casino, withdrawals done with American Express cards can take up to five business days to complete.
Where Can I Use My Amex Card Online?
When it comes to finding gambling sites that accept American Express, a little sleuthing is sometimes required. Some online gaming sites will feature this information on their homepage, others will hide it in the hope players choose a different card that charges lower transaction fees. Discover how to find whether Amex is accepted at casinos, poker sites, and sportsbooks below. Players can also find whether these sites offer specific Amex perks, too.
Amex Poker Sites
There are a range of poker sites that accept Amex, including the sites on our real money poker page. To find whether a poker site accepts Amex, players should check the website's footer, or the payment methods on registration. The American Express logo will be clearly displayed in these sections if the poker site offers it as a banking method.
There are several benefits to using American Express on poker sites. Along with the casino benefits mentioned above, Amex poker sites generally offer higher limits than other credit cards. Not only that, but poker players can sometimes receive a 5% cashback deposit on American Express transactions, which can earn players other incentives from Amex.
Amex Betting Sites
American Express sports betting sites are harder to find online. Many sportsbooks cover US sports, and as an American company Amex follows strict protocol around online gambling transactions from the US. However non-US bettors can still find sportsbooks that accept American Express transactions. Just look for the Amex logo under banking methods or in the footer of the sportsbook's website.
Amex betting sites make it easier for players to manage their bankroll with instant deposits and notifications. For bettors, using Amex with sportsbooks generally offers fewer restrictions than other credit cards, too. Find the best sportsbooks that accept Amex on our online sports betting page.
Amex casinos can be found online through the recommended operators listed on this site, or on our online casino games page. Players can determine whether an online casino accepts American Express in the banking options listed during registration, or in the footer of their website. Given players are keen to use Amex online, the more established casino sites will clearly display whether they accept this payment method on their homepage.
Players can enjoy instant deposits and additional security features with Amex casinos. Unlike some credit cards, American Express allows players to withdraw funds onto their Amex card. Given the stringent security measures American Express enforces, players can rest assured they are playing with a reputable online casino.
How to Make a Deposit with Amex
Aside from the ease of depositing at online casinos using American Express, there are many other reasons why players choose to use this real money payment method when they're doing some gambling online. American Express is already accepted by many online casinos, and the number is only growing. This is important, as some players like to use the same depositing method with multiple gambling sites. By using American Express, this is more than possible.
All transactions are protected by strong encryption technology. What's more, their fraud protection system means that your card can't easily be used by any unauthorised people. To make a deposit with an online gaming site using your American Express card, just follow the steps below:
Go to the cashier/banking section of your favorite online gaming site
Make sure your Amex card is registered to your account, or the transaction won't process.
Choose American Express from the list of deposit methods
Players will usually find Amex at the top of the list.
Enter the required information
Fill out your card information and the amount you wish to deposit in the appropriate boxes. Some casino sites will have minimum deposit limits of $10 or more.
Wait for confirmation
Once the transaction has been approved, players should receive a notification from the casino or American Express.
Enjoy your game
With their deposited funds, players can now start gambling online.
How to Withdraw with Amex
Not all gaming sites offer American Express online gambling withdrawals, however there are a few that do. Players can find out which ones by taking a look through the casino reviews on this site.
If a site does offer this option, withdrawals can be quick or slow. You'll need to wait between 48 hours and five business days for the site to authorise the withdrawal request. Once authorization has been given though, the money is transferred instantly.
To make a withdrawal using your American Express card, just follow these easy steps:
Navigate to the cashier or banking section of your account
Sign in and find this area of your account, which is usually found in the top right corner of an online gaming site.
Select American Express from the list of payment methods
Amex usually appears at the top of the drop-down list.
Enter the amount to withdraw, and your card details
Compared to other credit cards, American Express offers higher withdrawal limits.
Wait for the transaction to process
Once the transfer has been approved, you should receive a notification.
American Express Cards & Options
If you've decided to use American Express online when betting, you probably know there are a range of cards available. Each one has a different annual fee and unique features. To help you find the right one for your online gaming needs, we've provided an overview of the most popular Amex cards accepted by betting sites:
- Amex Platinum Card – this card costs hundreds in annual fees, but the rewards are worth it for big spenders. Cardholders receive credit to spend on travel, hotels, concerts, and airports, and can earn points as they spend.
- Amex Gold Card – the first year of issue is free, and then its an annual $125 fee. Players earn points when they spend on the card, which can be used to purchase flights or spent in retail shops.
- Amex Green Card – the most common Amex card accepted by betting sites, this option charges an annual $95 fee after the first year. Cardholders can receive 3x reward points on spending, and it charges no foreign transaction fees.
- Amex EveryDay – there's no annual fee for this card. Unlike the other options though, cardholders receive cashback at certain outlets when using this Amex card.
- Amex Prepaid Card – this debit card offers the same security features of Amex credit cards. The only difference is the cardholder places a certain amount of money on the card and uses it until the funds are gone.
- Amex Charge Card – this card allows the cardholder to make purchases that are paid for by the card issuer. The balance must be paid back in full every month.
Is it legal to use an American Express card for a casino or poker room deposit?
If your country of residence authorizes gambling online on casinos or poker rooms, and the operator accepts American Express as a payment method, then it is legal. Always check the gambling legislation of your local area before depositing funds in a betting site.
Does American Express do business with US-based gamblers?
American Express does business with only a handful of US-based gambling operators. Only 12 states allow some form of online gambling in their districts, which severely limits the scope American Express can operate in online casinos, poker, and sports betting sites.
Can I use my American Express card to fund an online gambling account?
If the gambling operator lists American Express as a payment method, then players can use their card to add funds to their account. Keep in mind some countries ban the use of credit cards with gambling sites, which may prevent players from using their Amex card.
Will my AMEX card work for casino payments?
If the online casino lists American Express as an accept banking method or payment option, then a bettor's Amex card will work.
How do I find an online casino site that accepts American Express cards?
If an online casino accepts American Express cards as a viable banking method, it will display the Amex logo at the bottom of its website. Alternatively, bettors can access the cashier section of their account and check whether American Express is listed as a payment option.
Can I trust casinos to keep my funds safe when playing with AMEX?
American Express has strong security protocols with its card and online banking systems, so bettors can feel safe in the knowledge that their funds are secure. With online casino security, players should always check a site has SSL encryption, strong login features and is fully licensed and regulated to ensure their funds are protected.
Are there likely to be any fees involved with American Express payments?
In addition to the annual fee American Express charges cardholders to use their cards, some online outlets may charge an additional fee for Amex payments. This is because Amex transactions cost operators more to process than other credit cards, so they might pass some of the cost on to buyers.
Would an e-wallet be a better option for my casino deposits?
Credit cards and debit cards are more widely accepted at online casinos than e-wallets. Casino sites are increasingly accepting popular e-wallets such as NETELLER though, and they make a good alternative to credit cards for some users.
Can I use American Express at online casino?
If the online casino lists American Express as a payment option, then bettors can use their Amex card with that operator. Players can find operators that accept American Express through our recommended casinos list on this page.