A roulette game consists of a usually wooden wheel with 37 (European) or 38 (American) colored pockets. The pockets alternate black and red, each marked with a number between 0-36. (with an additional '00' on an American roulette wheel).
The wheel is spun counter-clockwise whilst a small white or metal ball is spun in a clockwise direction around the wheel's top section. As the ball slows and loses momentum it falls into the main wheel area, bouncing around and eventually coming to rest in one of the numbered pockets.
The pockets on the wheel are numbered in pairs of two odd and two even numbers. Each section of the wheel adds up to roughly the same amount and the total of all numbers on the wheel is 666.
The object of the game is to predict the pocket where the ball comes to rest by betting on one or more possible corresponding options on the roulette table layout next to the wheel.
There are a multitude of betting options available, from the simple black or red and odds or evens even money bets, to wagers on specific numbers (35-1), splits (17-1), streets (11-1), corners (8-1), five line bet (6-1), six line bet (5-1), columns (2-1) or dozens (2-1).
Best Online Casinos
In the example to the right, the player is predicting that the number 5 will come up again on the next spin.
These are the player's bets;
- The number 5 - which will pay odds of 35-1
- 4-6 Street - which will pay odds of 11-1
- 1st dozen - which will pay odds of 2-1
- 2nd column - which will pay odds of 2-1
- Any odd number - which will pay 1-1
- Any red number - which will pay 1-1
- 1-18 - which will pay 1-1
If the number 5 comes up again the player will win $35 + $11 + $2 + $2 + $1 + $1 + $1, for a profit of $53.
The screenshot is taken directly from a real money online roulette game at Online Vegas.
- 0 Line - bet on 4 or 5 numbers that pays 4-1 (0,1,2,3,00*).
- Ball - plastic or metal sphere spun around the roulette wheel.
- Black - a bet on all black numbers that pays 1-1.
- Dozen - a bet on 12 numbers that pays 2-1.
- Evens - a bet on all even numbers that pays 1-1.
- Column - a bet on 12 numbers that pays 2-1.
- Corner - a bet on 4 numbers that pays 8-1.
- Inside - all bets on the inside of the layout.
- Layout - area on the table where roulette bets are placed.
- Line - a bet on 6 numbers that pays 5-1.
- No More Bets - dealer announcement as ball is in motion.
- No Spin - dealer announcement if the spin is not legal
- Odds - a bet on all odd numbers that pays 1-1.
- Orphelins - 'Orphans' call bet - more info.
- Outside - all bets on the layout outside the specific number.
- Pockets - numbered compartments on the wheel where the ball stops.
- Red - a bet on all red numbers that pays 1-1.
- Run - consecutive numbers of the same color.
- Split - a bet on 2 numbers that pays 17-1.
- Street - a bet on 3 numbers that pays 11-1.
- Tiers - 'The Third' call bet - more info.
- Voisins du Zero - 'Neighbours of Zero' call bet more info.
- Wheel - round, numbered & colored apparatus in which the roulette ball spins.
If you have more questions about roulette rules, feel free to contact us.